It’s that time of year again, when the kids are at home for the holidays and they’re constantly begging for screen time. As much as we want to keep them entertained, we also have to be mindful of their health and development. According to statistics, kids should only have a limited amount of screentime to avoid negative effects on their physical and mental well-being. As parents, we want to find ways to manage screen time and encourage our children to engage in offline activities instead. But with the scorching heat outside, it can be a challenge to keep the kids entertained and active. That’s why we’ve come up with some easy ideas for low-tech family fun that will not only beat boredom, but also keep your kids healthy, active, and safe during the holidays. Let’s dive into some exciting and screen-free ways for our kids to have a blast while staying mostly indoors.
10 Healthy and Active Screen-Free Indoor Activities for Kids during the Holidays
The holidays are the perfect time to introduce our kids to new experiences and activities that promote their growth and development. Instead of relying on screens to keep them entertained, let’s focus on providing them with healthy and active alternatives that will not only beat boredom but also contribute to their overall well-being. Here are 10 paediatrician-approved activities for a healthy holiday for kids:
1. Reading: Encourage your kids to dive into the world of books. Set aside dedicated reading time and let them choose their favourite stories or explore new genres.
2. Cooking: Get your little ones involved in the kitchen by including them in meal preparations. Let them help make salads and sandwiches, teaching them about nutrition and healthy eating along the way.
3. Gold Star Schedule: Create a schedule of activities that your kids need to complete each day. When they finish an activity, give them a gold star and offer a special reward at the end of the week for completing all tasks.
4. Indoor Plants: Teach your kids about the joys of gardening by helping them grow and take care of indoor plants. Not only will this activity keep them engaged, but it will also instill a sense of responsibility and nurture their connection with nature.
5. Arts and Crafts: Set up a designated arts and crafts area where your kids can explore their creativity. Provide them with various materials like paper, glue, crayons, and paint to create masterpieces.
6. Dance Party: Clear some space in the living room and have a dance party with your kids. Dancing is a fun and energetic way to get moving and release some pent-up energy.
7. Obstacle Course: Set up an obstacle course in your home using pillows, chairs, and other household items. This will not only get your kids active but also enhance their problem-solving and motor skills.
8. Board Games: Dust off those board games from the cupboard and have a family game night. This is a great way to bond with your kids and engage in friendly competition.
9. Science Experiments: Explore the world of science with your kids by conducting simple experiments at home. From volcano eruptions to homemade slime, these activities will spark their curiosity and encourage hands-on learning.
10. Family Talent Show: Organise a family talent show where each member gets to showcase their skills and talents. This will not only provide entertainment but also boost their confidence and self-expression.
By incorporating these screen-free activities into your holiday routine, you’ll not only keep your kids engaged and active but also create lasting memories and valuable learning experiences.
Our list of 10 paediatrician-approved activities for a healthy holiday for kids is the perfect resource for mums who want to prioritise their child’s health and well-being.
By incorporating these screen-free activities into your holiday routine, you’ll not only keep your kids engaged and active but also create lasting memories and valuable learning experiences. From reading and cooking to dance parties and science experiments, there are endless opportunities for your kids to explore, learn, and have fun.
And if you want to take this time to focus on improving your child’s health and vitality, we suggest visiting our clinic in Prabha Devi (accessible to residents in Dadar, Worli, and Lower Parel), with some of the best paediatricians who care for your child’s overall health and development. We can help you do a proper assessment of your child’s health and provide personalised guidance on what you can prioritise to improve their health and well-being.
So, this holiday season, let’s step away from the screens and embrace the joy of offline activities. Your kids will thank you for it, and you’ll create memories that will last a lifetime. Here’s to a healthy and happy holiday for you and your family!